Sunday, July 25, 2010

Owen: August 3, 2001 – July 23, 2010


Sweet, loving, gentle and loyal, Owen was a true friend. Always generous, he'd bring a shoe as a gift to visitors at the door. He loved chasing tennis balls, snuggling on the couch, eating (of course), holding his leash on walks and most of all being near me and his family. I remember picking him out of the litter, a pudgy little puppy and the mellowest of the bunch. He waddled over to me wagging his little tail and I knew right away that we were to be buds. He was my friend and confidant through some of the best and most challenging times of my life.


Born in Maine in 2001, Owen lived first in Cambridge, MA, then moved to Ann Arbor, MI with me in the summer of 2003. We took two road trips to Colorado and hiked a 14,000 ft peak together. I built him a special seat in my Volkswagen Vanagon right behind the driver's seat where he could peer out of the folding window, periodically sniff and give me kisses as I drove.


He taught his Wheaton Terrier cousin Bailey, a breed not known for swimming abilities, how to swim and fetch sticks from the water in Lake Dillon. He endeared himself to his Grandma and Grandpa while staying in Pittsburgh for 4 months while I explored living in Germany. During that time he ate food from their coffee table and broke their dishwasher by standing on the door to lick dishes. Because of him, I met many incredible people and dogs in Ann Arbor, including Alyssa and Kuma with whom we eventually merged packs.

We walked in Bird Hills Nature Area every day for years with David, his pooch Anna and Chantal with Brandi the huntress. Owen made fast friends with everyone he met. We took numerous rock climbing trips to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky where he played with Kuma and Anna under the rock walls. One of his claims to fame is a picture of him smiling while on one of those trips, which was published in the 'Smiling Dogs' section of Bark Magazine (Sept./Oct. 2009).

Owen had many nicknames: Owie, Big O, Big Boy, Biggles and Mr. Big. He was compared at various times to a lion due to his regal demeanor, an Egyptian prince since his eyes looked like they had dark eye shadow and the Sphinx because he often sat with his head held high with two paws straight in front of him. Always game for consuming food, he could hear cheddar cheese being unwrapped from across the house and would always come running. He loved licking the empty cream cheese container and sampling a little of my beer in his food dish. Owen even hydrated with a passion, sometimes requiring interruption to remind him to stop drinking water from his bowl. Walking Owen was sometimes a challenge. He loved to walk himself, one puppy habit I could never stop him from doing. He was always eager to walk though, no matter the weather.


Owen went much too early but lived a full life. He enriched my life with a love only he could provide. Now that he is gone, I feel an emptiness in our house. Even when he was sleeping on his dog bed and not making a sound, his presence was warming. I will miss stroking his soft strong head and giving him big hugs. I'll always be thankful for the special bond he and I shared.


Owen was a special being and I’m sure other people have many more stories and thoughts. Please share your comments.

6 comments:

  1. Such sad news.
    I met Will and Owen in West Park when I was walking Anna. I probably knew Owen's name before Will's, as often happens in the dog world. Will and I became friends, then the hundreds of walks in Bird Hills. I had the good fortune of sharing a house with Will and Owen for a while so Anna always had a walking buddy.

    Owen was a great dog who loved everybody. Well, everybody except for a certain little dog named Frodo. I believe Owen thought Will might want to take Frodo home so he'd huff and puff and growl and let it be known that Will was his! The strange thing is that he only acted that way around that one little dog.

    I loved taking the dogs on climbing trips. They'd have so much energy on the first day, but on the last day they'd be so wiped out that they'd just lie in the dirt, then sleep all the way home.

    I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope the happy memories will help to bear the sadness you must feel now. Just remember that Owen was a very lucky dog to have such a caring owner.

    -David

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful commemoration. Owen's friendliness was so welcoming and I loved the way he would bring a shoe to me upon entering his home. And how he would carry mine around as a sign of affection.

    He was solid and able to firmly plant himself during a walk if he happened to come across some good smells he didn't want to pass up too quickly. When he slept in his spot near me at night, I knew I was save and loved.

    He had a zest for life that was contagious. I always felt more alive around Owen. I will miss watching him bound to and from his backyard, expecting only good things each way.

    It was an honor to care for Owen during his companions' time away from home. He was well loved and gave back 100 fold in return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll miss Owen greatly. He was such a kind and gentle dog. I'll always remember...

    ...his steadfast companionship on hikes through the woods of Ann Arbor, Pittsburgh, Colorado, determined to put his nose to anything and everything there was to smell.

    ...his tirelessness when fetching sticks (and sometimes branches, logs, and trees!) in the streams around Ann Arbor, despite currents that would send him floating a quarter mile down stream. I could watch him do that all day.

    ...his patience as young Anna learned the dos and don'ts of pets, and as he learned the joys of children (they drop lots of food!).

    ...his excitement when he greeted me at the door every month, tail wagging and shoe in mouth, after a long drive from Pittsburgh.

    ...his goofiness as he lay on his back, paws to the sky, waiting for Will to finish watching that boring News Hour and go throw the ball dammit!

    Owen was a great friend and a steady, warm presence in a time that was full of change. I'll miss him a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For as long as I can remember, I’ve dealt with some fear of large dogs, so getting to know Owen was a particularly special gift for me. It was always a lucky day when I got to see Owen on the front porch at 613 Fountain during those years he lived here. Yes, he was large, but he was also utterly loveable. Patting his head and talking to him made me happy. How patient he was with The People when our conversations delayed his walk or his meal. What also made my heart sing was seeing the joy on Will’s face and the love in his voice when he spoke to Owen. What I was witnessing was a really, really wonderful friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of my favorite things about Owen were his grunting and his obsession with picking up shoes whenever anyone came to the door. I remember what I think was one of Will's fist times leading trad at the Red when Owen was looking up at him high on the rock, grunting for him to come down.

    Owen was very lucky to have such loving parents! Will very rarely missed a walk. I was surprised to run into Will, Owen, and Kuma a few times on Fountain St when Will was so sick he could barely even eat - such a dedicated parent.

    I'll definitely miss Owen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such sad news...such a sweet dog.

    i've never been a dog person. and since my induction to the northrop family didn't leave room for dog-phobias, i soon learned to tolerate and, yes, love the four-legged members. Owen's kind and gentle manner made it easy to fall for him. he always was the most thoughtful of the pack and i often felt he was contemplating me as much as i was him.

    he was a part of the family and will continue to be. much love to the AA northrop's. :)

    ReplyDelete